Links and Contact Information for Community Services

Police Department Information and Phone Numbers

City Phone Numbers for almost anything

City of San Diego Get-It-Done App: This is the best way to report almost any problem to the City. You can download an app for iPhones or Android phones, or use the City website directly.

Shopping Cart Retrieval Service: Abandoned shopping carts can be reported to RMS (Report Abandoned Cart). RMS is an independent contractor (not affiliated with the City of San Diego) that collects shopping carts based on agreements with specific stores in San Diego. Users are able to report carts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and expect a resolution within 24 – 72 hours. You can also call individual stores for shopping cart retrieval. See Abandoned Shopping Carts for more information on this problem and efforts to solve it.

Hazardous Waste Disposal: The City of San Diego Household Hazardous Waste Transfer Facility is open by appointment on Saturdays, except holidays, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Proof of city residency is required. Alkaline batteries and fluorescent lights are accepted here. No business waste is accepted. To find out more information about alternative disposal options or to make an appointment, call (858) 694-7000. Appointments can now be made using the Get-It-Done app or webpage.

Street Sweeping: A frequently asked question is when street sweepers are scheduled. There is a schedule posted on the City web site.

Street Paving: Plans for Street Paving are posted at

City of San Diego Service lines:

Streets Division: For Traffic Signal requests or Emergency service requests, please call Street Division Customer Services at 619-527-7500. For any other requests like potholes and damaged streets or sidewalks  please use the request form on this website

Water leaks: To report a leak, meter leak, sewer spill, or pressure problem call (619) 515-3525 Stormwater: Anything Stormwater related, like plugged or smelly drains, and street sweeping issues. Should be requested through this link: 

Neighborhood Code Compliance: To request a Code Compliance officer to look into your issue please use the link below.

This department deals with community compliance issues related to:

Priority I: Imminent Health and Safety Hazards and Environmental Protection

  • Disturbance of coastal bluffs
  • Disturbance of historical and archaeological resources
  • Illegal grading of Environmentally Sensitive Lands
  • Inadequate barriers for swimming pools/spas
  • Leaking sewage
  • Live, exposed electrical wires
  • Uninhabitable living conditions
  • Unstable structures and signs

Priority II: Serious Code Violations

  • Building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical violations
  • Disabled access
  • Encroachments in the public right-of-way that are hazardous or block visibility
  • Inflammatory graffiti
  • Non-permitted demolition
  • Non-permitted grading
  • Overheight fences or walls that are hazardous or block visibility
  • Substandard housing conditions

Priority III: Significant Code Violations and/or Conditions Adversely Impacting Quality of Life

  •  Condominium conversions
  • Garages illegally converted to living space
  • Graffiti
  • Illegal encampments with structures
  • Illegal dwelling units
  • Illegal uses
  • Mobile Home Park routine inspections
  • Noise that disturbs at least two (2) or more separate households
  • Non-permitted construction
  • Residential care facilities
  • Vacant, unsecured structures

Low Priority:

  • Elimination of off-street parking
  • Encroachments in the public right-of-way
  • Excessive storage
  • Garage sales
  • Garages used for storage
  • Lighting onto adjacent property
  • Newsracks
  • Noise that disturbs two (2) or more separate households
  • Non-permitted accessory structures (unless safety hazard)
  • Outdoor merchandise displays
  • Overheight fences (unless safety hazard)
  • Removal of required landscaping
  • Setback violations
  • Signs
  • Vehicle repair in residential areas
  • Recreational vehicles/boats on private property/Operational vehicles parked in front yard
  • Billboards

If your issue is connected between you and a neighbor in your community please call Neighbor Mediation:

San Diego Mediation Center at (619) 238-2400. The Center will assist in establishing an effective dialog between you and the person responsible for the problem.

Graffiti requests

Parking Tickets: