Mira Mesa Community Plan Update: An update to the 1992 Mira Mesa Community Plan is now in progress, and is expected to take 3 years to complete. The City Planning Department has set up a website for the community plan update. The first step in the plan update process is an evaluation of existing conditions. The draft initial conditions report, referred to as a “community atlas” is now online.
The Mira Mesa Community Plan and the FBA are also now online at the City of San Diego web site. The San Diego City General Plan adopted by the City Council on March 10, 2008 is now available at https://www.sandiego.gov/planning/genplan. This is a very important document as it guides all future development in the City and require updates to all community plans.
Public Facilities in Mira Mesa are paid for through the Mira Mesa Facilities Benefit Assessment (FBA). FBA fees are paid by developers at the time building permits are pulled. Fees vary depending on the type of development. In FY2015, FBA fees were $28,820 on a single family home and $20,174 on a multi-family unit (apartment or condo). Public facilities such as parks, roads, library, and fire stations are prioritized and built as funds become available. The library and fire stations have been built. The approximate dates for FBA projects are listed below:
In Progress or Recently Completed:
- Breen Neighborhood Park on the former Breen elementary school site (completed October 2005).
- Camino Ruiz Neighborhood Park at the north end of Camino Ruiz (completed July 2006).
- Park improvements to meet ADA requirements, including new play equipment at Maddox and Walker parks.
- Field House at Hourglass Park next to the pool at Miramar College. The pool and field house are shared by the City and the College. (completed February 2007)
- Carroll Canyon Road under I-805 (completed 2013).
- Mira Sorrento Place between Scranton and I-805 (completed September 2006).
- Transit center at Miramar College (Completed October 2014).
- Improvements to Mira Mesa Community Park and Carroll Site including a pool and field house (Started Fall 2015).
- Parkdale park at the south end of Parkdale.
- Improvements to fields next to Wangenheim Middle School (in design).
- Public park facilities at Salk Elementary School (in design)
- Development of Canyon Hills Park
- Two additional parks in Carroll Canyon will also be constructed during this time period, but are being constructed as part of redevelopment of the gravel mining operations, not out of the FBA.
- Widening of Camino Ruiz between Jade Coast and Miralani.
- Construction of Carroll Canyon Road between Camino Santa Fe and Carroll Road.
- Widening of Black Mountain Road.
- Intersection improvement at Camino Santa Fe and Miramar Road
- Intersection improvement at Kearny Villa Road and Miramar Road.
- Intersection improvement at Kearny Villa Road and Black Mountain Road.